Translate

Thursday, October 20, 2016

Reflection on Distance Learning

            For the past eight weeks I have immersed myself into the principles and practices of distance learning. As an elementary classroom teacher I thought at first that I was majorly out of my element. I valued shared learning experiences in my own classroom and tried to stay as connected to my students as much as possible. However through this course and my own professional reflection, I realized that I was robbing my students of the important skill set of learner autonomy. Even at a young age, students can learn to be independent and intrinsically motivated to complete a task. Dr. Siemen’s stated that the growing acceptance of distance education is a direct result of the increased online communication (Laureate Education). In my own teaching, I tend to go back to the age old saying “if you teach today’s students like you did yesterday, you aren’t preparing them for tomorrow.” As advances in technology allow for an increase in student access to technology, the need for distance will inadvertently increase.
            As previously mentioned, my role as an elementary teacher allows me to experiment more with practices and pedagogical approaches. I will then be able to incorporate aspects of distance learning in my own classroom. By teaching my students important research and accountability skills, I can pave the way for easier flipped and distance learning experiences later in the student’s education. I see it every day as each student in my room has access to their own personalized device. When modeled correctly and given the necessary supports, students can be autonomous and personalize their own learning through technology. As with anything new, distance education is continuing to expand and gain increased credibility with the vast options of informational tools. These tools will allow for a more global opportunities to gain a diverse student perspective and experience (Laureate Education).
            From an instructional design perspective, I have the ability to shape the perceptions and experiences of the learner. By carefully following the ADDIE process, I can develop engaging and rigorous content that helps learners to create their own understanding based on resources. Rather than being a stagnant receptor of knowledge, students will be immersed in the content and thus have a better learning experience. In the corporate setting, the perception of trainings will be better and organization members will have a more positive outlook when attending trainings. In addition, adding opportunities for collaboration and communication within distance learning helps the student to feel more connected to the course and fellow students. All of these factors will influence the perception that individuals have towards distance learning.
            Moving forward, I can be a positive force for continuous improvement in the field of distance education by continuing to challenge myself. Through continued learning, risk taking, and collaborating with other colleagues, I can be a positive and innovative members of the distance learning profession. In sharing best practices and being an active participant in the professional community, instructional designers can challenge one another to develop better training and learning environments. As a student, I never anticipated that I would be a distance learner. In my undergraduate program I took two online classes at a community college because I assumed that they would be easy, which they were. However, through this course work I was able to construct my own perceptions about the development of effective distance education that promotes the learning of its learners.

Resources

Laureate Education (Producer). (n.d.). The future of distance education [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu

No comments:

Post a Comment